Welcome back to Entry Way Remodel-Week 3. I’ve decided on the Board and Batten style to install along with priming the walls & purchasing materials.!!!  If you haven’t had a chance to read my WEEK 1 or WEEK 2 posts you can find them here and here.  For week 2 I left off with painting the walls in preparation for installing the board and batten and a rough sketch of how it was going to look.


The very first thing I did was install a 5″ board horizontally across the wall as an extension of the trim above the formal living room and then continue it up the rest of the stairs.



The next step and probably the most tedious (and this was the case when I installed Board and Batten in my Family Room was figuring out the spacing.  I cut a couple of the 1.5″x8′ MDF boards and taped them to the wall and played around with it.  In the end, 12″ spacing is what worked best. 


Once the spacing was figured out I started installing the vertical strips on the lower part below the header trim above the formal living room.  I used a nail gun and liquid nails to secure the trim to the wall along with ensuring each piece was level. I cut the bottom of the vertical strips at a 40-degree angle to match up with the stair stringer (white piece of trim that the stairs butt up to)


Now it was time to install the header for the upper portion of the wall.  I wanted it to match the height of the window base above the front door which is about 20′.  Since the longest MDF I could find was 10′ and the wall is 15′, I used the smaller 5′ piece right above the entry and then had the longer piece extend across the wall.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 8.37.23 AM

After the upper header was done, I installed a 3″ piece of MDF on top of the header to give it a finished look and then started installing the rest of the 1.5″ pieces vertically.  You can also see in the second and third picture how I eye-balled where the height would be and painted more than I should have.  In the WEEK 2 update, I shared how I planned to keep the upper half the color it is, Revere Pewter because when I painted the entry last year I told myself I was NEVER EVER EVER going to paint up that high again! I had some pretty sketchy moments and had the ladder come out from under me twice and had to bail off onto the stairs, luckily I was not hurt. 




That’s it for Week 3!  This was an exhausting week, to say the least, but I am glad the majority of it is finished and I am so happy with how it has all come together!  Make sure to check back next week to see what I have accomplished!

One thought on “ENTRY WAY REMODEL-WEEK 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s